Tuesday, September 14, 2010

i miss my job

Today it really hit me how much I miss my job. I don't miss the Army BS or the daily grind. I don't miss having to salute and defer to people with less education, experience, and intelligence than I. I don't miss having to get all down in the weeds about my Soldiers' business.

But, I miss my job. I loved public affairs. Really loved it. I loved dealing with difficult people (was well prepared by my years dealing with actors in the theatre!). I loved writing and photographing Soldiers (loved Soldiers). I loved talking to everyone and being allowed to ask the dumb questions (for the article I was writing, of course). I loved being the in-between; the junior enlisted/NCO who talked directly to four star generals and baby enlisted with the fuzzy patch all in the same day. I loved making people happy just by taking their photo and sending it to them. I loved seeing my work on CNN and FOX (despite how I feel about that particular news source). I loved every minute of it.

Today the defense contractor I've been talking to called and said everything is on track. Maybe soon I'll be doing what I love again. I know every job is different and it won't be the same, but I am excited and nervous. I can't wait to get back to what I love to do. Fingers and toes crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment