Friday, October 1, 2010

minimalist by default

When I began the latest version of my "minimalist/simple living" journey, I never realized the roads it would take me down. Granted, my latest conundrum is not necessarily something I would have come to all on my own, but it counts!

Here's the deal, I live in an apartment complex right? Yeah. Well, I cheaped out and got the smallest (most minimal, thankyouverymuch) apartment in the complex thinking hey, I can do my laundry in the public space. Less cost/energy waste. Well, little did I know the communal laundry space is in another building. But, that isn't what irritates me. What irritates me is that is costs me $2 to wash 1 load and $2 to dry 1 load. AND THERES NO CHANGE MACHINE! Who the heck has a minimum of $4 in quarters a week these days??? NOBODY THATS WHO. I currently must go to the laundrymat to change my dollar bills to get quarters to use in the laundry room in a different building in my apartment complex. Talk about a hassle.

And so, time to downsize/simplify!

I started with clothes. No longer will I own white/light colored clothing. From here on out all my clothes need to fit into one load, which means they all need to be dark.

And now, I contemplate things like how many towels does one person need?? Sure, they're useful, but if you have to wash them and dry them all in one load.... too many towels take more than $2 to dry.... And so, I'm thinking two towels for me/guests use and 1 for puppy use. That's it buddy.

Huh. I laugh/scoff at those people trying to "downsize" who don't just have to because they have to!

1 comment:

  1. My son has lived like this for years. If he buys a shirt, he gets rid of a shirt, etc. And I agree about all the dark things. The only one that is tough is dorky dark socks with gym shoes...The next thing you should look into is Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. Wish we had done it when we were young. It is the best thing out there to teach you to handle money to live within your means. There is an online course, which is worth the money. If you are disciplined, you can just read the book.

    It's fun to see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete