Wednesday, June 29, 2011

travels through other worlds

Lately there's been a lot of good book reading going on. Perhaps this is due to the summer lull, where the sun is up past 8:00 p.m. and the porch is more inviting than the couch. That, and I think I've actually seen every episode of "Law and Order," soo...

As I've been working through my huge (and always growing) stack of books to read, there have been a few duds, but most have been well-written, interesting, entertaining and thought-provoking. Here's a little summary of some recent nights well-spent in the garden:

  • Travels with Charlie in Search of America, John Steinbeck ~ This book was recommended by an older gentleman at the dog park because I have a poodle, and well... John Steinbeck had a poodle. It was fascinating to read Steinbeck's observations and opinions on the state of the nation as he traveled across it gypsy-style.
  • Greenmantle, Charles de Lint ~ What can I say, I love this author. He makes the ordinary world magical and weaves tales that make you feel you are experiencing yourself.
  • Eva Moves the Furniture, Margot Livesey ~ Lately, ghosts have been on my mind and this novel treats them in an unusual and interesting way. It is nice to be pleasantly surprised by a book you weren't too sure you wanted to read.
  • A Good Dog: The Story of Orson, Who Changed My Life, Jon Katz ~ I cried, yes I did. I loved reading about how this man's dog was the catalyst for a major lifestyle change.

No comments:

Post a Comment