Thursday, July 7, 2011

words of wisdom

As I continue to think about how to live life more simply, I've been re-reading several of the books I own and re-discovering some of the treasure trove of words sitting on my bookshelves. Last night I came across a book of quotes Mother sent me some time ago. Here's just a few that stood out to me. I though you might enjoy them too.


"May I be medicine for the sick and weary. May I be their doctor and their nurse until the sickness appears no more. May I quell the pains of hunger and thirst with rains of food and drink. May I be a torch for those in need of light, a bed for those in need of a bed, and a servant for those in need of service." ~ Shantideva (7th century), India


"The true secret of giving advice is: after you have given it, to be perfectly indifferent as to whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right." ~ Hannah Whitall Smith (1832-1911, USA)


"Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you." ~ Nathanial Hawthorne (1804-1864), USA


"Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love." ~ St. Francis of Assisi (c.1181-1226), Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment