Wednesday, November 10, 2010

simple, emily. simple


I have to confess, I kind of fell off the "simplicity wagon" a bit the last few weeks. Things got busy around here and I stopped thinking living simply and just was worried that I wouldn't get out of bed on time!

Now I'm pausing again to think about what else I can do to make things easier. I learned a few lessons this past month:

  • The less clothing options, the better. And the more everything in your wardrobe works together, the easier your mornings are! (Thank you Army)
  • I need to stop purchasing food I just won't eat. Even if it's healthy for me. Even if I would like to think I'm going to roast those veggies tonight when I get home. I won't.
  • The less stuff in the house, the less I have to clean. Obvious benefit here.
  • I no longer want to spend my money on crap. I'm still in the process of getting rid of stuff and it is amazing how much money I spent on it all, only to take it to Goodwill. I work hard for my money. I am going to stop spending it on junk.
  • By deciding to grow my hair for a full year and not to use hair dyes, etc. has been a good one. The longer my hair is the less I have to fool with it. Again, obvious plus.
So, a re-affirmation of my ongoing struggle to slow down the consumerism a bit and stop investing so much time into stuff. I like making the time to walk the dog, go on hikes, knit, read, watch movies, etc. The simpler things are the better.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you,Emily. I know as I clean out my basement and haul stuff to Goodwill, I have been convicted of the money I have spent over the years on things I probably didn't need. We are going through a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University program and that has really been helpful as well. I would suggest that all young people go through it. It is training that really prepares you for the future. I, too, am tired of cleaning things. I'm not sure I'm ready to skip the hair dye or grow it long...my daughter already has the oldest mom out of all her friends, and I don't want to rub it in :-)

    ReplyDelete