Monday, May 9, 2011

one step at a time

Sometimes it's the little things that make life a pleasure. I've been working hard to try to do all the little things I've always wanted to do and simply never bothered to make a reality. Nothing hard or complicated. Little things. Things like making sure I have plants on the patio, a good mix of flowers and (hopefully) food-bearing plants. Actually attempting to compost my food scraps, running every day, eating a mainly vegetarian diet, burning that incense I love, drinking good coffee, turning off the tv and reading a good book.

None of these things are hard to do, or terribly earth-shattering, but the more I make the decision to do them instead of the alternative the more I find the days are happier somehow. It's really true; you have to live your life one moment at a time and not spend so much of it planning for the future. I'm a planner, always have been. To a certain degree this is a good thing. It keeps me moving and growing, always looking for the next thing. However, when I remember to slow down a bit and not miss all the moments in between plans I am happier and the days are better.

I hope I can keep this up. My goal is to remain mindful of the small things you can do to make every day a little special. It makes a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment