Monday, August 22, 2011

a weekend away

I'm home and recuperating from a weekend trip to Williamsburg, VA this weekend.  It was quick and I seemed to spend an inordinate time sitting in traffic (I'll never get used to that around here), but it sure was fun!

There's nothing quite like sipping your morning coffee outdoors and admiring the early light streaming through the surrounding trees. I love those few moments before everyone else is awake and moving around ~ no sounds but the birds and insects ~ so nice.


Maria's six-year-old son took this shot of me and Beulah.  I think now I've reached the ripe old age of 32 I should allow no photos taken prior to coffee, shower, lip gloss...


We promised the kid a trip to the beach and there was no way he wasn't going.  Whereupon we {foolishly} followed directions from a local to the one that was "right down the road a ways."  An hour later we finally managed to get to the James River; there was much rejoicing. 

To my amazement, there was this huge oak tree up the bank from the river with acorns the size of a silver dollar.  I loved that you could enjoy the shade of an oak tree and look out over this extremely large, brackish river.  Beautiful.


Even the drive home was pretty.  Every state/country I've lived in has something special about it, something to love.  Virginia is truly a beautiful state.  I take the older highways whenever possible in order to see the countryside better.  It's always worth the extra half hour you spend winding along.


What a weekend.  I wish I could have stayed longer and will certainly have to return to see more of the historical stuff.  However, I got a little glimpse of it and will share it with you tomorrow.  For now, enjoy the trees!

1 comment:

  1. I love Williamsburg! I have only been once, but thought it was so beautiful. You are right. Each state has it's own beauty! That's a great picture of you and your puppy!

    ReplyDelete