Sunday, August 22, 2010

herb garden

Introducing..... my little herb garden in the making! These little pots sit on the kitchen windowsill and should eventually produce rosemary, lavender and basil. I started them last weekend and they are already sprouting.

I've been reading a series of blogs about minimalism lately and one guy's post caught my eye. He talked about how he always wanted to plant a garden, but wherever he was living he never had the opportunity. He said he never had a yard or lived anywhere long enough to establish a garden. Then, one day he realized that he might never have the "perfect spot" for a garden. So, he went to the store and purchased tomato seeds. He planted the seeds and ended up with one tomato plant that he kept in his small living space.

I guess I got two things out of what he said. First, don't put off what you want to do just because the timing isn't perfect. What is "perfect timing" anyhow? I'm not sure it really exists. I think maybe we make our own experiences what they are. Second, you don't have to do the full she-bang all at once. It's ok to start with one tomato plant instead of a full vegetable garden. It doesn't diminish the pleasure and practicality of that one plant.

So there you have it. Sunday morning musings on my kitchen window herb seedlings.

1 comment:

  1. Very smart insights. Hope your little garden plants will grow well. ~M

    ReplyDelete